The youth of today and tomorrow will have to live with seniors. It is important to connect well with them and grant them a special place. Generations living together is occuring now more than ever before. It is common place to see five generations in contact on a daily basis.
This component promotes social interaction between generations and emphasizes the importance of providing a special place in the community for an aging population. We can be an interdependent community in which mutual support between generations becomes a natural part of everyday life!
We have a wonderful partnership with the Maison des jeunes de Huntingdon.
- Eight friendly visits as part of pedagogical day activities
- Eighty-five Christmas cards made by adolescents at the Maison des jeunes
- The Christmas cards were given out with meals-on-wheels at the Huntingdon CHSLD, Résidence La Belle-Rose and to the grandparents of the young card makers
- Handmade cards of love were sent to all the residents at the Huntingdon CHSLD and Résidence La Belle-Rose from a group of young people on St. Valentine's Day
- Young people planted a garden for the residents at Résidence La Belle-Rose.
The organization, Les Aidants Naturels du Haut-Saint-Laurent, held its first intergenerational workshop in partnership with a grade 2 class from l’école Montpetit in Saint-Chrysostome. The activity took place on the premises of the organization during a Relais-répit time. Both students and seniors were thrilled with the afternoon anda future event is planned.
A corn roast at the residence La Source Bleu in Ormstown. Some ten, enthusiastic teenagers participated in this memorable activity which was greatly appreciated by the residents. It is to become a yearly event!
Young people make seniors smile, but seniors also brighten the day for youth. Sharing knowledge between generations is very stimulating and enriching. Receiving a handmade card on a special occasion brings sunshine to a senior's day because it is an act of generosity on the part of the youth who made it and often it is the only highlight of the day.